I provide indexing services in English or French for printed materials – books and textbooks, reports, periodicals – as well as electronic formats such as websites, e-products, and databases.
Indexing award winner, for excellence in the creation of my indexes to Ancient Pathways, Ancestral Knowledge by Nancy J. Turner (MQUP). The Ewart-Daveluy Indexing Award was presented by the ISC/SCI (Indexing Society of Canada) in May 2015.
My goal is to create accurate and logical indexes with your readers' needs in mind. Indexes are prepared with dedicated software (Cindex), delivered to you proofed and formatted, ready to print.
Over 250 indexes prepared since 2007, including translations of indexes, from English to French or vice versa.
My article about indexing French-language publications is in the December 2011 issue of the journal The Indexer.
I am a member of the Indexing Society of Canada (SCI), and volunteered on the executive from 2009 to 2017.
Recent indexing projects include:
- Ancient Pathways, Ancestral Knowledge: Ethnobotany and Ecological Wisdom of Indigenous Peoples of Northwestern North America (2 vols.), by Nancy J. Turner. MQUP.
- New Media: An Introduction, 3rd ed., by T. Flew and R. Smith. Oxford University Press Canada.
- Biology of Sex, by A. Mills. University of Toronto Press.
- 1619: Jamestown and the Forging of American Democracy, by J. Horn. Basic Books.
- Epidemiology for Canadian Students: Principles, Methods & Critical Appraisal, by Dr. S. Patten. Brush Education Inc.
- Secwépemc People, Land, and Laws. Yeri7 re Stsqeys-kucw, by M. and R. Ignace. MQUP.
- Education for All: EFA Global Monitoring Report. Translation of the index for several French reports. UNESCO.
- Two volumes of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) reports indexed in French (volume 1 part 1 and volume 3).
Journals indexed: Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden, Novon and BC Studies.
Subjects of knowledge and interest
My diverse work and interests, along with my librarian skills, allow me to work in several fields:
- Natural sciences and history, environment, education, development, language, translation, botany, sustainability, health, history, Japan, Asia-Pacific, Québec, marine and freshwater sciences, First Nations, social change, travel, agriculture, and gardening.
Rates vary depending on several factors such as page/font size, density of terms to be indexed, complexity of the topic, publication length and the timeline. It is essential that you send me part of the material in order to provide you with a quote. I always reply promptly.
My fees include one revision and I will also check the layout version if you wish. Changes in pagination after the index is done will be charged per hour. Quotes are usually valid for a limited time only.
Background and experience
I am trained in indexing and also have over five years of cataloguing experience in libraries. Please email me for a copy of my resume.